Monday, May 24, 2004

I called Eva today to find out when to expect them. She was very quiet and hesitant, then quickly saying that they may not be coming. I asked why. "I don't want to talk about it now." I asked if it was because she couldn't talk now, she said now, that she just didn't want to. Of course, I wasn't going to just let that go. It was totally unlike her, and I knew something was wrong.

In the end, I learned that Meran had broken news to her between yesterday and today that he was involved with another woman in Iraq. When I say involved, it means he met a woman who he likes, is sympathetic to, and has made intentions towards, and that's all. Yes, it's possible there is more, but knowing Meran as I do, it is probably that simple so far. He didn't have to tell Eva, but he did because he is following custom where the first wife's approval is obtained before moving ahead.

From what I can tell, Eva probably won't be giving approval, but it's up to her. She sounded not only surprised but hurt. She said Meran and her had talked about the idea years ago and she had told him her feelings on it, and that they would not contemplate it together. That was then, this is now, however. Things and people change. The war and their separation has had an impact. I told her I hope they do come, that I would dearly love to see them, but the most important thing is for them to have the time they need to work this out...

No comments: