Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Last night I caught Eva online and I approached her for a chat. I asked if there was news on their coming, and how she was. She responded back that she still didn't want to talk more yet. I told her I respect that, and she said I appreciate you understanding.

I was supposed to call her tonight, but I have not been feeling well. I also hesitate because I don't want to be a pest. I will try tomorrow...

Today, I did a bit of research, and sent Eva this email:
I've been doing research to learn and understand the situation you're in from Islamic law and Kurdish cultural points-of-view.

The links & excerpts below lead me to believe that at best, polygamy is severely restricted...and many times not allowed at all either by secular law, or only if given permission by the first wife.

I realize you probably know most of this, but I wanted you to know as much as possible as you make your decisions. My thoughts and love are with you, Sweetie...

Love, Mom XXXXX OOOOO

For women, the PUK government has banned polygamy, while the KDP allows multiple marriages only when the husband gets the first wife's written permission and registers it in court. More

In Islam, polygamy is allowed, but it is severely restricted - "And if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly with the oppressed women [Yatama-literally, the Orphans among women-see the context], then marry from among them two or three or four, but if you fear you won't be just [even then], then marry only one." (Koran 4:3)

An article about a woman who went through what Eva is going through now; the article goes on to discuss an interesting debate within Indonesian Islam concerning this issue.

Kurds tend to be strongly clannish in their social organization, organized around a male descendent. This is especially true of those descended from important political figures; overall there is much reverence paid to ancestors. Villages are often identified along extended family lines. To protect clan resources, intravillage marriage is preferred; in fact, first cousin marriage is common. Polygamy of up to four wives is allowed by Islamic as well as cultural mores, but is not common. More

And finally, this very interesting tidbit - see section Criminal Justice

No comments: